Disclaimer:

All that you read in this blog is an effort to keep my readers and me entertained. All posts here, as my subtitle suggests, are tried and tested. Be it recipes I learnt from my mom or the ones I picked from the internet or on parenting or things that happen in my life. Yes, all are gonna receive their due credit for helping me out with whatever I post here. My life, my style of parenting and my ways of cooking are all products of who I am and not intended to hurt anyone. You like it, you take it! All characters mentioned here are fictitious and bare no resemblance to anyone dead or alive. Oh yeah, if I mention me or my husband or my daughter, we for sure are real! Now that you have entered my world to entertain yourself then-let the journey begin.


Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

POTATO BAJI



Who does not like Potatoes. At my place it is loved by everyone. My husband loves potatoes so much that when I make any dish the first thing he will ask me is "did you put potatoes in it?" and if I say no, he says "Mel! you should put potatoes, then make the dish taste better." I'm sure if at all my husband was a chef you would find potatoes in everything. If he could mix it with water and have it I'm sure he would have done that too :P


Anyways, here is a very simple recipe to make potato baji. I always make this one when I have lots of other work to do as it gets done in no less than 10 min (excluding the time it takes to pressure cook the potatoes). I use this filling in Masala Dosa or as a side dish for puris. 


So here is the recipe for you:


What you need:




  • Potatoes (duh!) - 2 large
  • Onion - 1/2
  • Mustard - 1/2 tsp
  • Peas - 1/2 cup
  • Green Chillies - 2 (depends upon how spicy you what to make it)
  • Turmeric powder - a pinch
  • Oil (you can use any variety)
  • Salt to taste




Method:




  • Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker. You can boil it normally in water too but I prefer doing it in the pressure cooker 'coz it gets done faster.
  • When the potatoes are done boiling, mash them. Add salt to it and mix. Keep aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Add mustard seeds. 
  • Once it splutters, add onions.
  • Once the onions turn transparent, add green chillies and peas. Cook till peas are done
  • Now add turmeric powder and salt (remember you have already added salt to the potatoes, so be careful)
  • Then add the mashed potatoes and mix. Remove from gas.
I hope you will find it delicious!


Note:


  • If the potato baji becomes too dry, add 1/2 cup of water and mix while cooking
  • You can use this baji for masala dosa, puris and in batata wada (will post recipe soon)



No comments:

Post a Comment